Create PDF
Approved Mar 26, 2003 - Emergency Services Advisory Board Minutes

Santa Rosa County
Emergency Services Advisory Committee
March 26, 2003
2:00 p.m.

MINUTES

 All members present:

 Sheryl Bracewell                                                      John Reble
Joe Diamond                                                           Chris Rucker
Gerry Goldstein                                                        Tony Simmons
Dave Ling                                                                 Don Vanderryt
Lew Oliver

Welcome to first organizational meeting of the Emergency Services Advisory Committee given by Dave Ling, Director, Emergency Management, Santa Rosa County, at 2:00 p.m.

Tom Dannheisser, County Attorney, was introduced and reviewed the Sunshine Law for all members of the Committee.  He advised that there are three main issues to remember:                                  

1)                 Meetings are noticed
2)                 Minutes must be taken
3)                 No outside discussion among members regarding matters coming up for vote

He will provide a summary for inclusion in the manuals regarding the Sunshine Law.  In addition, he advised that members of the committee could contact him for assistance at any time.

Introductions by each member were provided to the Committee.  Noted that address for D. Vanderryt requires correction.

D. Ling moderated election process for Chairman.  John E. Reble elected Chairman.  G. Goldstein elected Vice Chairman.

Overview of manuals provided by S. Bracewell.

Tammy Simmons advised that any email would be included under the Sunshine Law guidelines.

Established regular meetings will be held on the 4th Wednesday of the month.  The meetings will start at 2:00 p.m.  Next meeting will be April 23, 2003.

Reviewed draft of 'purpose' originated by staff.

  • Scope includes Civil Defense, Animal Services, EMS, Fire Departments, Search/Rescue and Hazmat
  • Law Enforcement will make someone available to attend whenever necessary
  • D. Grinde appointed secretary responsible for taking minutes
  • Established that Chairman will abstain from voting, unless required to break a tie vote
  • Meetings will be open to the public
  • Will require additional lead time for any additional meetings
  • Quorum will consist of five (5) members
  • Minutes to be posted on web site after approval or amendments by committee
  • 'Draft' minutes to be distributed to committee prior to next meeting by email

Purpose adopted in amended form by committee including quorum, meeting date and time.

Committee members viewed web site location.

Any comments, suggestions and questions will go before D. Ling and S. Bracewell prior to distribution to committee.

Agenda must include a specific time for 'public forum'; meetings will be scheduled, held and limited to two (2) hours.

Tammy Simmons explained to committee method of handling 'field trips.'  Field trips will be scheduled at a different time than the regular meeting; the trip will be for viewing only, no discussion; may want to schedule regular meeting to follow at same location; will require a 14 day notice; may prefer to have a 3 person sub-committee to gather information, photos, etc.

T. Dannheisser clarified questions regarding field trips by committee members.

If only inspecting and observing, then no advertising required.  If trip requires discussion, then advertise.  If trip is informational only, then no advertising required.

REQUESTED AGENDA / ACTION ITEMS

  • How are the seventeen (17) Fire Depts. funded and under what taxing authority do they fall
  • Listing of fire equipment at each station including year or age, condition and type of equipment
    (S. Bracewell advised that this information may be on file at ECC, but not necessarily current; would like to request assist from FFA, whose meeting is schedule for the second Monday of the month at 07:00 p.m. at the EOC)
  • NFPA guidelines and possibly formatted on a disc
  • G. Goldstein to chair a sub-committee to gather information in a standardized format for both Fire and EMS; will bring 'draft' back to committee for any additional input
  • Look over all documents and bring back for discussion regarding direction committee needs to take
  • C. Rucker / Rural Metro will present an overview of EMS system at a later date
  • D. Ling / EOC will present an overview and tour of the EOC structure

D. Vanderryt inquired as to the exact cause of the formation of this committee.  J. Reble advised that a recommendation was made to form yet another Task Force.  The last Fire Service Task Force was formed in 1997.  Suggestion was made to eliminate Task Forces and create a permanent type of committee with a more long-term goal.

Public Forum

Recognized Mr. Richard Collins, Chumuckla Hwy, who stressed the fact that we depend on all of our volunteer firefighters.  He noted the necessity for the committee and thanked all committee members for volunteering to participate.

In closing, D. Ling reiterated that fact that this is an historic day for Santa Rosa County.  It is the first meeting of all involved to provide a continuous oversight of the emergency systems.  A group photo was taken and the meeting was adjourned.

Submitted by:
D. A. Grinde