PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE MEETING
Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 5:30 p.m.
Administrative Complex Board Meeting Room
The August meeting of the Santa Rosa County Parks and Recreation Committee was held at the Administrative Complex beginning at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 26, 2009. The following members were present representing the sports associations and host organizations: Charles Baxley, Pace Athletic and Recreation Association, Pace Athletic and Recreational Park/Santa Rosa SportsPlex; and Tom Dorsey, Tiger Point Recreational Park;
Absent were representatives from Fidelis Community Center and Park, Benny Russell Park, Swenson Park., Navarre Youth Sports Association, Futbol Club of Santa Rosa, Inc., Chumuckla Community Center and Park, and East Milton Recreational Park.
Also present were the Administrative Services/Parks Operations Manager, Tammy Simmons, Special Projects/Grants Coordinator, Sheila Harris, and Kyle Holley.
The meeting was called to order at 5:30 p.m.
The Administrative Services Manager welcomed all.
Committee members introduced themselves and the park they represented.
Minutes from the April 22, 2009 meeting were approved without objection as written.
Discussion of the submittal of a 2010/2011 Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) Grant Application for improvements at the Bagdad Mill Site Passive Park. Harris presented the proposed application to the committee.
2010/2011 Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP) Grant Application
Bagdad Mill Site
Located at 6953 Main Street, Bagdad, Florida
Bagdad Mill Site – Existing Facilities
• 2 concrete buildings and multiple concrete structures
• Split-rail retaining wall fence for safety
• 81 native trees
Bagdad Mill Site Proposed Improvements
• Demolition and debris removal of concrete buildings, structures, and ground asphalt
• Adding a parking lot and parking spaces
• Adding a multi-use trail around the perimeter of the park
• Adding a boardwalk to connect the trail loop to the Oyster Pile Landing
• Perimeter Fence
• Picnic Facilities (5 – 12’ x 12’ pavilions”
• Picnic Area
• Historical & Nature Information Kiosks
Bagdad Mill Site – Project Costs
• Demolition $ 17,000
• Trail & Boardwalk Construction $166,360
• Parking Lot $ 52,300
• Fence $ 25,000
• Picnic Facilities $ 21,800
• Landscaping/Irrigation $ 79,360
• Other Improvements $ 8,510
TOTAL PROJECT EST $370,330
TOTAL PROJECT EST $370,330
• FRDAP Funds Requested $183,970
• Local Match $186,360
o In-kind labor and equipment from R&B ($20,000)
o Cash from TDC Trail Construction Collection
• Parks Advisory Committee Meeting
o Wednesday, August 26 – 5:30 pm
• Bagdad Waterfronts Partnership
o Thursday, August 27 – 6:30 pm
• Public Meeting
o Thursday, September 10 – 9:30 am
Public Input Session
• Harris explained the program was not funded in last year’s cycle and may not be funded in this year’s cycle; therefore, those that ranked highest in last year’s cycle had the option to roll over their application as scored meaning that we are competing against them as well as new applications.
• Baxley questioned what types of items qualified for this grant.
o Harris explained it is for acquisition and development of land for public outdoor recreation use or to construct recreational trails. Harris further explained pg 13 of the application stating for our region bicycle riding, hiking, nature study, outdoor swimming pool use, and shuffleboard will allow us to score additional points on the application; furthermore, Harris explained the point system on pg 27 of the application and how this application should score.
• Dorsey questioned if we could add additional items to the grant application to maximize the grant up to the $400,000.
o Harris responded that we have a time frame that we must complete the project in if we are awarded the grant and that she feels that we can accomplish these improvements in this time frame.
Holley introduced himself and explained that he is at this meeting to better understand the role of this committee. Holley stated the Tourist Development Council wants to assist parks in activities to increase the bed tax in Santa Rosa County.
Simmons stated the next regular scheduled meeting is September 23, 2009.
The meeting adjourned at 6:00 p.m.