Health & Wellness
Affordable Care Act
- Affordable Care Act and Medicaid: Learn how the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid affect one another.
- HealthCare.gov: This is the official site where you can apply for benefits.
- Health Insurance Reform and You: This site was created to provide information about the many issues related to the federal Affordable Care Act. You can watch an interactive video or download an informative brochure. Provided by Florida Department of Financial Services.
- Read the Affordable Care Act: The full text of the Afforadable Care Act can be accessed at this site.
- AARP: AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization that helps people 50 and over improve the quality of their lives.
- Council on Aging of West Florida: Council on Aging provides community based in home services in an effort to enable the elderly to live a healthy, safe and relevantly independent life in their own familiar surroundings.
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs is the primary state agency responsible for administering human services programs to benefit Florida’s large and growing elder population.
- Medicare.gov: The Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare
- Northwest Florida Area Agency on Aging: The Northwest Florida Area Agency on Aging, Inc. is a designated Aging Resource Center whose goal is to facilitate the service needs of consumers so that they can age safely, with dignity and purpose, in their own homes and elder-friendly communities.
Health & Medicine
- Gale Health and Wellness (Library Resource): Provides instant access to carefully compiled and trusted medical reference materials. Includes nearly 400 health/medical journals, hundreds of pamphlets, over 700 health-related videos from partner Healthology, Inc., and articles from 2,200 general interest publications.
- Gale OneFile: Health and Medicine (Library Resource): Multi-source database provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources in Gale's award-winning Health Reference Center.
- Gale OneFile: Nursing and Allied Health (Library Resource): All aspects of the nursing profession -- from direct patient care to health care administration -- are covered in this collection. Including nearly 400 titles, this collection's current and authoritative content will be of use to both professionals already working in the field as well as students pursuing a nursing-focused curriculum.
- American Cancer Society: Provides information and resources on various types of cancer, preparing and coping with treatment, support programs & services, and more.
- American Heart Association: Contains information on heart attack/stroke warning signs, diseases & conditions, children's health, CPR & ECC, healthy lifestyles and more.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Provides information on diseases including cancer and HIV/AIDS, as well as information on many other health & safety topics such as birth defects and disabilities.
- Florida Department of Health: Main link to all departments, including medical and environmental services, licensing, and topics of community concern.
- Florida KidCare: Through Florida KidCare, the state of Florida offers health insurance for children from birth through age 18, even if one or both parents are working.
- Florida Poison Information Center Network: The Florida Poison Information Center Network (FPICN) is dedicated to providing emergency services 24 hours a day to the citizens of Florida by offering poison prevention and management information through the use of a nationwide, toll-free hotline (1-800-222-1222) accessible by voice and TTY.
- Flu.gov: Get everyday actions for preventing the flu; learn about the symptoms and treatment for those with the flu virus. Find a place near you to get a flu shot; all ages should be vaccinated this year.
- HealthCare.gov: Explore insurance coverage options and learn about how the Affordable Care Act impacts you. Find information for individuals, families, senior citizens, people with disabilities, young adults and employers.
- InsureKidsNow.gov: Find state-specific information about health insurance coverage for children under Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- MedlinePlus: MedlinePlus is an online health information resource for patients and their families and friends. It is a service of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the world's largest medical library, which is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Merck Manual Home Edition for Patients & Caregivers: The world's best-selling home medical reference online. Explains disorders, who is likely to get them, their symptoms, how they're diagnosed, how they might be prevented, and how they can be treated; also provides information about prognosis.
- WebMD: This site is a commercial site. However, provides valuable health information, tools for managing your health, and support to those who seek information. Content is interactive, timely, and credible.