Veterans Pension with Aid and Attendance

9VA Aid and Attendance or housebound benefits provide additional monthly payments added to the amount of a monthly VA pension for qualified veterans. A form of aid and attendance or housebound income is also available with Service-Connected Compensation (SMC).

If you need help with daily activities or you are housebound, find out if you qualify by clicking here:

Before your appointment, please make sure you have the following:

  • DD 214 (All of them or Discharge Certificate) showing you served during one of the approved wartimes
  • VA Form 21-2680; Download VA Form 21-2680 (PDF).  This form must be signed by a doctor
  • Veteran’s VA rating decisions/award letters (all of them)
  • Copy of marriage license 
    • Dates, cities and states (country name, if outside the U.S.) of all previous marriages, divorces and deaths for your and the veteran’s former spouses
  • Death certificate long form
  • Proof of income
    • Social Security award letter
    • Earning statements 
    • Other annuity or retirement incomes (gross amount)
    • Dividends and interest for every interest-bearing account you have 
    • Amount of stocks and bonds – especially US savings bonds
  • Value of real estate (other than your primary home)
  • Name of each medical insurance company & amount of monthly premium (to include Medicare & Medicaid)
  • Amount of prescription(s) co-pay(s) 
  • Current bank statement(s)
  • If you are in a nursing home
    • Complete VA Form 21-0779 (PDF) - Request for Nursing Home Information in Connection with Claim for Aid and Attendance
    • Statement/Invoice from nursing home
  • If you are in an assisted living facility
    • Complete VA Form 21P-527EZ (page 16) worksheet for residential care, adult day care or similar facility
    • Statement/Invoice from facility
  • If you have an in-home attendant
    • Complete VA Form 21P-527EZ (page 17) worksheet for in-home attendant expenses
    • Receipts from in-home attendant
  • Government ID
  • Voided check

All medical records must be on a USB drive or disc.