VA improved Survivors Pension

14If the veteran was receiving VA disability compensation and their passing is a result of any of their service-connected disabilities – OR – if the veteran was 100% permanently and totally disabled for at least 10 consecutive years, click here.

If none of this applies, the VA Survivors Pension offers a monthly payment to qualified surviving spouses and unmarried dependent children of wartime veterans who meet certain income and net worth limits set by Congress. Find out if you qualify and how to apply:

Before your appointment, please make sure you have the following:

  • DD 214 (all of them or Discharge Certificate) showing the vet served during one of the approved wartimes
  • Veteran’s VA rating decisions/award letters (all of them)
  • Copy of marriage license of current marriage
  • Dates, cities and states (country name, if outside the U.S.) of all previous marriages, divorces and deaths for your and the veteran’s former spouses
  • Death certificate long form
  • Proof of income
    • Social Security award letter 
    • Earning statements 
    • Other annuity or retirement incomes (gross amount)
    • Dividends and interest for every interest-bearing account you have 
    • Amount of stocks and bonds – especially US savings bonds
  • Value of real estate (other than your primary home)

  • Name of each medical insurance company & amount of monthly premium (to include Medicare & Medicaid)
  • Amount of prescription(s) co-pay(s) 
  • Current bank statement(s)
  • Government ID
  • Voided check

All medical records must be on a USB drive or disc.

The VA also provides additional monthly payments for those who require Aid & Attendance or who are housebound. Click here for more information.