On June 22, the Santa Rosa County Board of County Commissioners approved a new noise ordinance that provides specific noise levels that will result in a violation if exceeded. This takes place of the previous ordinance that utilized plainly audible criteria that was problematic for enforcement.
- Noise will be measured by calibrated meters at the receiving property line, not at the source of the noise.
- All alleged violators will receive a warning prior to being issued a fine.
- The ordinance covers all of unincorporated Santa Rosa County and not the City of Milton, Gulf Breeze, or the Town of Jay.
- The discharge of firearms is not subject to enforcement under this ordinance.
- Special events, special construction needs, entertainment venues, racetracks, etc may seek a noise variance as needed through a process being currently developed.
- Fines begin at $100 per occurrence and can double or triple with subsequent offenses.
The following will not result in a violation:
- Running an air conditioner at night.
- Talking to a neighbor.
- Running an emergency generator.
- Cheering at sports games.
The full ordinance is available online. If you have additional questions, please call Code Enforcement at 850-981-7090.
# # #