UF/IFAS Florida Sea Grant Extension in Santa Rosa and Escambia counties are looking for volunteers with boats, kayaks, or access to the water for wading to participate in the Great Scallop Search survey July 24-30, in Santa Rosa Sound and Big Lagoon.
How to participate in the surveys:
- Gather a team of at least three people.
- Participants will need their own snorkel gear.
- Some locations require a boat. Kayaking and wading are also options.
- Snorkel four 50-m transects in an assigned grid nearest location choice.
- Training material provided. In Big Lagoon, training will be provided at equipment pickup.
- Select date (between July 24 -30), location and time. Four surveys take approximately two hours.
The Great Scallop Search is being held to determine if there are scallops in the Pensacola Bay System. There is not a recreational harvest of scallops in our area, this will be a non-harvest event. The Great Scallop Search is a great activity for the whole family.
For more information and to register contact:
Santa Rosa Sound locations
Chris Verlinde at (850) 623-3868 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or for
Big Lagoon locations
Rick O’Connor at (850) 475- 5230 or email@example.com.
# # #